#StaySalty


If you have been following my channel for a while, you would know that I am part of a collab channel called Staying Salty.  Staying Salty actually has had a huge impact in my life and I don't think I have told many people this.  Let's start at the beginning.
When I started watching CF related channels on YouTube, I started watching The Frey Life.  Then I began finding more and more CFers creating videos.  I found Larry's channel, then Miranda's channel, and then Hannah's channel.  A collab channel was created (I don't remember what it was called), but it was a collaboration of different CFers.  I loved seeing all of these people with Cystic Fibrosis come together.  Later, that channel ended and they began Staying Salty.  Their videos were and are so relatable and incredibly helpful.  At times the topics that they provided were not applicable to me at the time, but later on they helped me.  For instance, Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes, Moving to Different Clinics, or Dating with CF, etc.  I looked up to everyone on this channel, Sabrina, Taylor, Miranda, Larry, Chad, Chelsea, and Hannah.  Along with the CF mentors that I have near me, I also had these mentors to look up to.  
When the opportunity first came up to possibly be on the channel, I pushed it aside because I was busy and didn't think that I could ever be apart of this channel.
Now, I know there are a few people who are thinking, "Weren't you on a collab channel called Breathe Easy?"  I was.  Breathe Easy was a great place to start.  I learned many things about being on a collab channel and loved every moment of being on the channel.  However, sometimes, you need new things to grow as an individual.  
A couple months later, the opportunity came up to possibly be a part of Staying Salty.  After lots of thought, I realized the worst thing that could happen is that they say "no."  
A week went by and as I waited, I received a message from Miranda on Facebook telling me I should fill out the survey to be interviewed for the channel.  Two things: 1. I was surprised she knew who I was and had seen my videos.  2. I was talking to someone who I had looked up to for so long!
Eventually, I received an email from Chelsea with a time and date to have an interview with everyone over Skype.  As the days came closer to the interview day, I was freaking out.  At this point, it did not matter to me if I did not get selected to be on the channel.  I was just so excited to have the chance to speak to my mentors.  Meeting them and talking to them was a dream come true.  The way they appear in their videos is exactly how they are in real life.  I greatly appreciated that, and treasured that moment of speaking to them.  Throughout the interview on the outside, I may have appeared calm, but on the inside I was a nervous wreck/fangirl. haha
After any interview or audition, there are times when doubt tends to creep in.  I began to have thoughts of not knowing if I could even handle being on this team, I'm too young, or wondering if I have experienced enough to give advice on Staying Salty.  My best friend quickly shot down all those thoughts and just told me that I will have to be patient.  Again, the worst thing that could happen is that they say no, and that I had the honor to talk to all of them.
The very next morning, I received an email from Chelsea stating that I have been chosen to be on Staying Salty.  This was an incredible moment, and was the best email to wake up to.
This has been an incredible journey being on Staying Salty and I am so thankful for the mentors that I have who have now become my family.
Remember to stay salty and that's all for now,
Ashley

Comments