True Beauty

I would consider myself a confident person, but to be honest, it took me a while to get to this point.  I've had people try to break me down and take away my confidence.  I struggled with my body image as a young child, which is sad to say, but it is true.  When I was about seven years old, a high school student called me "fuzz face."  He called me this because when I was little, I would walk around with a bed head and pull it back with a headband.  I didn't care what people thought of me until he said this to me.  You know what?  It took me until sophomore year of high school to be confident to wear my hair down because I thought someone would make fun of me.  I've struggled with the way my body has looked because of Cystic Fibrosis.  Cystic Fibrosis causes my body to bloat.  I've had people think I was pregnant or fat.  These accusations of being fat began when I was in kindergarten!  I would sometimes think that I wasn't beautiful.  First semester of college, people would tell me how I should do my makeup, how to do my hair, and how to act.  Once I realized these people were putting negative thoughts in my head, I walked away from those people.  Since then, I don't care what people think of me.  I am the most confident that I have ever been!  
As I look at pictures or even step out in the public, I am confident in my own skin.  I'm confident with or without makeup.  I am thankful for experiencing not being confident in my own skin because it I hadn't experienced that, I wouldn't be as confident as I am today.  

Confidence is something that is very difficult for young girls and women of all ages.  We are surrounded by commercials, posters, products, and people telling you how to look.  There is this pressure on women more than ever and it is wrong.  Women are not objects that can be put on a pedestal or molded into a certain way.  We are beautiful just the way we are.  My heart breaks for young children concerned about their outward appearance and trying to form into what our society tells us to look like.

There is a song called, "True Beauty" written by Mandisa.  The song is all about your inner beauty and focusing on what really matters.  It's not about the makeup.  It's not about the thigh gap.  It's not about the fashion.  It is about beautiful individual that God has created you to be from the inside and out.


"True Beauty"
Mandisa


Do you think that a California girl is supposed to have curls and wear a jean size 3? All the curves in all the right places, spray tanned faces just like on TVAnd we read in the gospel of Vogue that we're all supposed to dress and move and be Visions of perfection Such a misconception Because the real connection is deeper than the eye can see What's inside of you What's inside of me The hands that made the moon and the stars The mountains and the seas Made you wonderful, beautiful, marvelously Let the whole world see your True beauty Don't know much about Dolce and Gabbana Seems like a lot of drama to me And you can keep all your red high heels And open-toed shoes - I'm good in my bare feet Lets get down to the nitty gritty Enough sex and the city What about purity? Skin is just the surface The passion and the purpose that's burning down inside us Is really what we need to see What's inside of you What's inside of me The hands that made the moon and the stars The mountains and the seas Made you wonderful, beautiful, marvelously Let the whole world see your True beauty Doesn't come in a bottle, doesn't come in a box You can't spray it on, you can't wash it off You can't nip and tuck, you can't sew it up So don't waste your time It's the love in your heart, the peace in your soul The hope in your smile lets the whole world know This little light - you gotta let it shine What's inside of you What's inside of me The hands that made the moon and the stars The mountains and the seas Made you wonderful, beautiful, marvelously Let the whole world see your True beauty What's inside of you What's inside of me The hands that made the moon and the stars The mountains and the seas He Made you wonderful, beautiful, marvelously Let the whole world see your True beauty 

Remember that you are beautiful just the way you are!
That's all for now,
Ashley

Comments