A Look Into My Heart

If you have known me for a while, you would know that I wear a heart necklace.  It is very rare when you see me with a different necklace on.  This necklace isn't just a worn, silver heart with jewels on it and with two jewels missing; it is a locket.  Inside, I keep two pictures of two family members who have taught me many valuable lessons and who have made me who I am today.


On the right side is a picture of my grandpa.  My grandpa was the best grandpa that I could ever have.  He appeared tough on the outside, but he was the most loving person that I have ever known.  He taught me how to stand up for myself and not be afraid to be myself.  He taught me how to use construction tools.  He is the first person who taught me how to drive stick; I was six years old driving his tractor on our property.  He was pretty brave for teaching me at a young age because I almost crashed into our fireplace in the backyard.  He loved onions, I did not.  We both hated avocados, well that has changed now, I sadly like avocados now.  He hated cauliflower.  One time my dad put cauliflower in mashed potatoes.  Not knowing it was cauliflower, Grandpa ate all of it and even went back for seconds.  While he was eating his second helping of the mashed potatoes, we finally told him that he was eating cauliflower.  He got so mad!  He hated tomatoes, but loved ketchup and tomato sauce.  He hated peanut butter, but loved peanuts.  One time for dessert, I made ants on a log.  If you don't know what that is, it is celery with peanut butter and raisins in it.  Because I asked or rather "begged" him, he tried it.  He hated it, but he tried it because I asked.  He always threatened to put a muzzle on my barky dogs, but secretly he loved them.  He built me a dollhouse, a swing, a little wooden car for the AWANA Grand Prix races, and bird houses.  He came to every show I was in.  He came to every 4-H event.  He put up with the pigs, horses, goats, and sheep that he allowed to stay on our property.  He sparked my love for Frank Sinatra.  He was patient with my numerous questions.  I've never been the kind of person to hang out with the women in the house.  I would always join him as he hung out with the men of the household.  Half the time, I didn't understand what they were discussing, but he always took the time to explain everything.  He was patient and loving.  HE is the reason why I am going into Occupational Therapy.  As he was recovering from his stroke, I helped him with his exercises and went on long walks with him.  HE sparked my love for the medical field.  There are too many memories and stories to narrow it down to a favorite.  There isn't a day I don't think of him, but I know he is looking down with pride and love.

On the left side is a picture of my cousin.  I never really considered him my cousin; I always considered him my uncle.  I don't know why, I just did.  He appeared more tough than my grandpa on the outside.  He was a big tough guy, a sailor with a sailor's mouth.  He always tried to appear tough, and maybe he did to others, but not to me.  I experienced his soft side.  He was the most caring person I had ever met.  He always took care of others first.  He taught me not to be afraid to try new things or be afraid of the medical world.  He taught me that when the wind and waves knock you down, you have to get back up and keeping pushing through.  He taught me how to play chess.  He gave me an envelope of yellow papers of the patterns that each chess piece goes.  Later, he gave me a Muppets chess board to challenge anyone who came to my house.  Every time I was hospitalized, he always visited me.  He was the first person who was there to help me as I experienced my first low with diabetes.  From the time I was 13, he kept telling me what drinks I should have on my 21st birthday.  Every time I came to his house, he let me borrow a book from his library from "Series of Unfortunate Events" to books about Mermaids that did not make any sense.  He took me for a ride in his treasured truck.  It was a very special moment as we traveled to the hardware store, but I was also questioning if the truck was safe.  He saved recyclables for me as I saved for camps, trips, and college.  He has made me many necklaces and earrings.  My love for puzzles became pure annoyance of puzzles because of his love of complicated puzzles.  He had a sailor's mouth around everyone except me.  He was the grizzly bear that was ready to defend me.  Again, there isn't a day I don't think of him, but I know he is looking down with pride and love.

That's all for now,

Ashley

Comments