The Love of Wisdom

This past semester, I have been taking philosophy.  I wanted to share my thoughts with you about a recent lecture.  This lecture made me think about what philosophy is and why I am studying it.  It also opened my eyes to the mindset that I need to have not only towards school, but towards different areas in my life.  This lecture made me realize that what I learn in this class doesn’t just apply here, but it still applies as I continue to learn about the world around me.  

The first thing that stood out in the lecture for me was a statement, “Having to reread assignments does not mean you are stupid.  It means you are studying.  Just as excursing is good for your body, so studying is good for the mind.”  This stood out to me because often when I am slower at studying, I tend to get into the mindset of feeling dumb.  I have to continue to remind myself that we all study at different paces.  It does not make me dumb for having to take my time.  I also tend to feel this way if I become behind due to my health.  Again, I have to remind myself that my health comes first and school comes second.  I may get behind sometimes, but eventually, I get caught up and life continues.  Another point that stood out to me was the statement, “…your focus needs to be on learning and developing your mind.”  This stood out to me because yes we study at different paces, but overall we are developing our minds and bettering ourselves.  This also goes with learning to have the right mindset.  If we are constantly thinking negatively, it will affect our work method.  This will cause almost like a road bump in our path of learning.  It will hinder us from how we think and we will not have the excitement to learn.  If we reverse those patterns, we will have a love for what we are learning.  We will want to study and continue to have new opportunities to learn new information.  

There was a point that was made in the lecture that defined philosophy as the love of wisdom.  That is exactly what it is!  There is a whole world out there for us to learn about and we have many opportunities available.  We will all have our own different opinions because we are all different as individuals.  That is okay, that is a part of philosophy and a part of becoming individuals.  For me, sometimes I feel as though when being a Christian, it is hard to express my opinions.  We all have different opinions, and when having different opinions, it can cause disagreements.  Even though I believe in God and have my faith, I don’t think it is something that should always start an argument.  It is good to respect other’s opinions.  For instance, I do not believe in the “Big Bang.”  I believe that God created earth and every living thing that is on it.  Genesis 1:1, “In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth.”  Genesis 1:27, “So Go created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.”  I know that not everyone believes that.  It is up to everyone to choose what they want to believe.  I do not judge someone based upon what they believe.  However, I do feel judged sometimes with my opinions.  This will not stop me from sharing my opinion on what I believe and what I take away from lessons. 

Overall, I found this lesson a reminder that we need to take advantage of the opportunities that are set before us.  We will all have our own opinions, and that is okay.  That is part of philosophy.  We will all learn wisdom at different paces.  Just because we are learning the same subject, we may take away different aspects from the lesson.  That is because we may have focused on one part of the lesson or one part may have specifically stood out to us.  Ultimately, we are to learn philosophy, to have the love of wisdom.

That's all for now,
Ashley

Comments